Transitioning through Succession
Why This is Important to You
Your practice is likely the most valuable asset you own. You spent years building and nurturing it. You took the risks and made the sacrifices that come with owning and operating a small business.
Now that your dream is a reality - your business a success, you find yourself looking toward new horizons. Yet, always in the back of your mind is the nagging fear that the reward for those risks and sacrifices, your sweat equity, might not be fully realized.
And, there are your clients and staff to think about. Without their loyalty you would have never succeeded to begin with; how do you make certain they are taken care of as you pursue the next phase of your life?
There are so many decisions to make when considering such a life altering change that it can be downright overwhelming. And, they’re not all business decisions. It’s much more than legal documents, valuations and tax planning. There is an equally critical path, that of anticipating and working through the human dynamics that are an integral part of the process – dynamics in you, your clients, your staff, your partners and potential buyers.
Most successful transitions are not "do-it-yourself" affairs. The same way your clients need you as their advisor to help them with the complexities of their financial lives, you need a transition advisor. More than half of all business ownership transitions fail at some point in the process. We can help you be in the "successful" half!
How We Work With You
A successful transition just doesn’t happen. It takes planning and purpose - and those are the two things we’re very good at helping create in your busy life.
Not every client faces the same challenges. These are just a few of the ways we can help with your transition:
- Build a Roadmap. We'll develop a strategic plan that identifies your critical financial and life goals.
- Set a Timetable. Create reality out of dreams by breaking down the process into manageable steps.
- Consider the 14 Elements. We'll work with you as a consultant and coach to develop a game plan for dealing with the 14 key elements you must consider to be successful.
- Increase Your Market Value. Using our Business Valuation Improvement Program, we can show you how to increase the market value of your business before you sell.
- Develop an ‘Ideal Buyer’ Profile. It is critical to look beyond the numbers in your initial screening process. We'll help you understand why.
- Have a Seasoned Team: We're available to be at your side during meetings and negotiations if you need us.
- Build a Shared Intentions Statement. Once a potential buyer is selected, we'll help you avoid the minefields that destroy too many transitions before they complete.
- Develop a Client Trust Transfer Plan. This will help you "lock in" the value of your client relationships during the transfer to the buyer.
- Help you redefine your personal life plan and realize the full potential of the opportunities that await you after you have completed your process.
What This Means For You
- You have the solace that comes from knowing you evaluated both the business and personal aspects of such a meaningful change
- You are making informed decisions eliminating costly mistakes
- You will sleep better at night knowing that you have thoroughly evaluated your options, leaving no stone unturned
- You can take comfort in knowing that you have a team to help you make your transition more efficient, profitable and satisfying
- You will have the peace of mind that comes from knowing that while you are working with your clients, a team of trusted and experienced professionals are working behind the scenes to make your dream a reality (and not a nightmare).
Who Will Help You
Kane Carlton is a consortium of the best and brightest talent in the wealth management industry. This confederation of seasoned professionals combines decades of practical experience in highly specialized disciplines with a no-nonsense, innovative, results-driven focus on a singular mission - to help you.
Thomas C. Kane, Founder and Chief Transformation Strategist
Henry D. Morneault, Consulting Associate
Operations Strategist and Transition Expert
Why Kane Carlton
We are an organization of practitioners, not a group of theorists who may have spent a year or two on the front lines of financial services. We have the scars, lumps, and gray hair that allow us to guide you on your quest to grow and protect your business.
We have deep-rooted practical experience in running almost every facet of a wealth management business -- even the most technical, arcane and specialized parts.
This practical, relevant experience includes certified coaches who have owned operated, operated and sold wealth management practices and who actively coach owners from throughout the United States.
We are nimble and innovative, yet practical. We understand solutions and strategies are of no value if they are merely aspirations that will not or cannot be successfully implemented.
We are going to help you make good decisions -- the right decisions, the first time.